THE SEASON FINALE - 2018 "Living the Dream" RV Tour

"We travel not to escape life, 
but for life not to escape us."
- Anonymous 

Needless to say, it was tough leaving the spectacular beauty of Canada. As July approached, we absolutely could not believe it was already near the end of our trip. Reports from back home were not encouraging weather-wise. Drenching rain coupled with increasing humidity did not sound pleasant at all compared to the low humidity and consistently perfect temperatures we had become accustomed to since March. The one thought that helped us to accept our fate was knowing that our favorite places would soon be too hot or too crowded as summer and vacation season kicked into high gear. This, along with the draw of missing family, always calls us home. 


"In every conceivable manner, the family is link to our past, 
bridge to our future."
- Alex Haley

Every three years, Doug's family on his mother's side holds a week-long family reunion. This tradition started with the WWII generation, allowing siblings and cousins to reunite and connect - shortening the distance that keeps them apart. This year, close to 50 relatives of all ages from across the US attended. It was held in Duluth, MN right on Lake Superior - just over the border from Canada. It was the perfect stopover on our journey home. It was wonderful to be with family again and to know they missed us as much as we missed them. 


Tweddale siblings: Doug, Shelley, Deb and Lori with spouses.



Duluth turned out to be kind of a half-way house from being on the road. We were back with family and increased civilization, but  still in our comfy motor home, surrounded by inspiring scenery and pleasant temperatures. We relished one more week of paradise before "the end". 


"Home - A place your feet may leave,
 but your heart will always be."
- Anonymous

During the final leg of our journey home, we stopped briefly in Hobart, Indiana to pay tribute to Doug's childhood home. 




"Real success is making art your whole life" 
- Kay Walkingstick

Throughout the year, Doug submits his best paintings to various exhibitions across the country. These events are juried, which means all artwork submitted is reviewed by a prominent artist judge and only a few are selected to be in the show. While on the road, we entered two paintings from this current trip into upcoming exhibitions and were excited to learn they were each accepted! 

 "Morning Showers, Ghost Ranch" was accepted into Pastel Society of America's 2018 Annual Exhibition: 'Enduring Brilliance'. There were over 1300 applicants and only 180 were selected. This annual exhibition is being held at the Grand Gallery of the National Arts Club in New York City from September 4 - 29. Adding to the excitement, this was the third time that Doug was chosen for this prestigious show, which entitles him to move from Associate Member to Signature Member status. 



 "Morning Showers, Ghost Ranch 

The other two paintings are: 


 "Hallet Peak" 

"Anastaszi Witness"

"Tiaquepaque Sycamore" was selected by the Pastel Society of the West Coast to be displayed at their annual "Pastels USA" Exhibition being held from August 16 - September 16 at the Art Center Morro Bay in California. 

"Tiaquepaque Sycamore" 
    
Meanwhile, Coco keeps entering the "Where's Coco?" exhibition on Sue's Facebook page. It seems she has developed quite a fan club over the years. 



















All yearly blogs must come to an end and so it is so for our 2018 "Living the Dream" RV Tour Blog.


 We leave you with some musings, written by Doug one morning as he sat drinking his morning cup of coffee, counting his blessings in our beautiful sun room at home
  
An Essay on Travel and Routine by Doug Tweddale
Being on the road gives me a wonderful opportunity to consider those things that I might not give a thought to when immersed in the routines of home.  Sue and I recently had a great talk about how we are essentially living two lives – one at home with friends and family and the other on the road going from place to place in our “Mini Winnie” home away from home.  It seems each are very different from each other.

As we discussed this, I realized that routines are essential and reassuring to me.  Being in our wonderful home in familiar North Wales surrounded by family and friends is indeed wonderful.  Being on the road also involves certain comforting routines; but, for the most part, it is like living an alternative life of almost complete freedom and inspiration while taking in all the amazing vistas of our country. After four years of travel, I find both lifestyles are necessary ingredients for my life enjoyment and artistic creativity at this point of my life. The two lifestyles complement each other.  
When at home, it is a joy to be in a place I know, surrounded by the people I love and involved in activities I enjoy: seeing my wonderful children and grandchildren, doing projects with my sons, gardening in the back yard, going to the local diner with my friend Bill,  and even just sitting in the room I built looking at birds at the feeder. I also enjoy teaching Plein Air workshops to local friends I have known for years. These things of home fill my soul with joy and thanksgiving.

When we go on the road, I always face a bit of anxiety about leaving the security of home.  There is always that moment - sitting in the driveway, ready to turn the key and begin - when all the things that could go wrong flash through my mind.  Maybe we will have engine problems, an accident, we could get lost, or a ton of other random thoughts of disaster. 

Traveling anywhere outside the comfort of “home”  is really about courage.  All explorers through time immemorial have faced the same fear in varying degrees when starting a journey. It is about leaving the known and somewhat predictable for the unknown and unpredictable.  Even as I face this fear, something deep within always propels me forward.  
Adventure calls me from a primal place echos my ancestors and eons of human survival.  The excitement of exploring new terrain and being awed by a sight not expected and unbelievably beautiful pulls me forward and out of my fear. Every turn of the road bolsters my courage and offers new possibilities.  
 I am now retired and 70 years old – it is amazing to say that – and travel opens new doors for me that being at home cannot.  When I travel, it is all about discovery and appreciation for the sights.  I begin to view all things in a new light and this carries over to being at home.  Somehow, the excitement and inspiration of travel makes my time at home so much more enjoyable and precious.  
In my earlier job as a retirement community administrator, I saw the life limiting effects of aging.          Life narrows eventually to a very small circle of people and limited mobility  with the march of time.  My body has changed and will continue to do so until it no longer functions and dies.  It is a reality of living that we all suffer.  I heard a quote once that I have never forgotten: “The regrets we have upon our death are not about those things we have done but about those things we did not do” - Anonymous.
The sights I see while traveling inspire my artist’s soul. To be near a stream, smelling the fresh air of the wilderness and hearing the sounds of water tumbling over the rocks; or to stand before a mountain covered in snow, lit by a deep blue sky – all this is beyond amazing to me. My heart leaps for joy and I am filled with awe for this moment of living in this beautiful world.  I try to channel this excitement awe into my paintings so I can share it with others.  To me, that is the beauty and gift of being an artist.
Such is my life right now. In all this, I have the good fortune to be with a fellow traveler Sue.  Neither of us knew how we would react to being on the road for an extended period.  We had to venture out of our individual comfort zones and overcome our explorer fears to experience it.  As you can tell from our blogs, we both love it
“So, what is next?” you might ask. Of course, none of us can know for sure about tomorrow. We choose to embrace life’s grand call to keep on each today as if there’s no tomorrow and keep updating our bucket list at the same time.  
Our plan is to continue traveling as long as we can.  Right now, we are discussing our next long trip in 2019.  This year, we were so blown away by the people, climate and sights of the Canadian Rockies that we wish to spend more time there.  Our trip will begin at Sedona ( for the fourth year in a row) and progress to Zion, The Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier National Park and then into Canada and Waterton Lakes, Banff and finally Jasper.  We hope to be in the Rockies for three months,  enjoying the happy people, lower humidity, crisp evening air and smell of pines.  I am especially looking forward to Yellowstone and the Ice Fields Parkway between Banff and Jasper. 
Sue and I sincerely wish you could all be there enjoying it with us.  Since that’s not possible, we’ll continue to send out our travel blogs as long as you are enjoying them. 
In closing, I suggest you each find  ways to break the routine and excite the soul. Plan now for your retirement and the time you will have.  What is your ticket to joy?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

FOLLOWING THE TRAIL OF HISTORY

TULIPS, BUNNIES AND QUENTIN TARANTINO